We only been talking about painting texture directly onto the 3D object, but there is another way to paint textures. If you have done 3D before, you know you can directly paint onto the texture map file. This method is better for painting more complicated 3D textures.
To paint directly onto the texture map file you will need to set up the UV map correctly before exporting the 3D object to Photoshop. When you import the 3D object to Photoshop, click on the 3D layer and underneath the 3D layer. Double click on the texture map you want to paint (see image below).
:: Contents ::
Photoshop CS4 Tutorial 3D
3D Import & Export
More Photoshop CS4 3D Tutorials»
This will open a new document for that texture map. The file will be in .PSB file format, the smart object format for Photoshop. This allows you to paint and change your texture map inside the smart object without destroying the original texture.
Another great thing about this is, when you finish changing the texture map and save it. It will automatically update the texture map on the 3D object.
Creating 3D Objects
- How to create 3D postcard inside Photoshop CS4
- Creating 3D objects from illumination light in Photoshop CS4
- Creating 3D Vanishing Point on a 2D image in Photoshop CS4
- Creating primitive 3D shapes with Photoshop CS4
- How to merge two or more 3D objects into one 3D layer
Transforming, Moving, Scaling & Resizing 3D Objects
- Transforming 3D objects with Photoshop CS4
- How to Cross Section a 3D object with Photoshop CS4
- How to use Ground Plane with Photoshop CS4
Painting 3D Objects
- How to use Paint Mask with Photoshop CS4
- How to use the Clone Tool on a 3D object in Photoshop CS4
- Painting directly onto the texture map in Photoshop CS4
- Where is PatternMaker in Photoshop CS4+?
- Painting Bump Texture Map in Photoshop CS4
- Glossiness Texture Map in Photoshop CS4
- How to Paint Shininess Texture Map in Photoshop CS4
- How to Paint Opacity Texture Map in Photoshop CS4
- How to Paint Self-illumination Texture Map in Photoshop CS4
- Normal Texture Map in Photoshop CS4
- Loading external texture map in Photoshop CS4
- Basic Photoshop CS4 animation tutorial
- CS4 Cross Section animation tutorial
- Exporting 3D animations with Photoshop CS4